Tuesday 14 September 2010

(In a certain light) your face could launch a bare-knuckle fight

Since returning home from my travels, I find myself becoming increasingly bemused by the obsession with personal appearance here in the West and, more pointedly, our need to pluck, preen & paint ourselves, seemingly as society dictates.  Every day we are bombarded with a superfluity of seductive advertising within the media – whether television, print or online – all of it imploring us, cajoling us, pushing us to conform to a certain image.  What each individual ‘looks like’, down to the nth degree, should not – in my opinion – be this important (and certainly not the sole measure of a person)!  However, what we wear, what we plaster on our faces, fingers and toes, how we coif our hair – our social-skin, if you will – does (particularly if challenged) have the potential to become an incendiary topic for a lot of people.

Don’t get me wrong – I’m in no way saying that I stand smugly apart from the rest of you; that I alone am blessed with an awareness of the power and guile of advertising.  Nor am I immune to the almost religious fervour – the unshakeable belief-in-oneself – that can lead to some of the biggest appearance faux pas since David Guest firs–– well… since David Guest really.  As mentioned in an earlier blog, I once had an utterly ridiculous hairstyle.  What I didn’t mention is that, at various points in my life, I also thought it ‘cool’ to wear paisley-patterned braces hanging down around my arse, Pony ‘linebacker’ trainers with huge tongues flapping loose, black ‘waffle’ skin-tight trousers and electric-blue leather boating shoes with tassels…

One evening last week my senses were assaulted by this piece of utter nonsense:



I can’t understand why women (or any men, for that matter) would want to intentionally clog up their pores.  Why the hell would you want to do that?  Who decided that pores – visible or not – are bad?  Who actually wants an all-over plastic air-brushed face?  Who genuinely thinks that having your face all one colour or tone looks natural and/or attractive?!  I must walk past hundreds of women each week whose faces are covered in foundation; women who (I assume) hold a firm conviction that (for whatever reason) this is needed.  I could be wrong here – and please, if I am, let me know – but I’ve a sneaking suspicion that, if asked, if they dared speak the truth to their friends, girlfriends or wives, that most men would agree a face plastered in foundation is actually a bit of a turn-off.

What exactly is wrong with having ‘fine lines’, ‘crow’s feet’ or freckles?  It never did Jacqueline Bisset any harm.

You know, 20 years on, I may well have an even more ridiculous hairstyle than those awful curtains; it’s just I can’t see it and, if I have, no-one has had the decency to tell me about it.  Therein lies my point. Is it at all possible that we’re becoming 1) a little too scared of hurting the feelings of others by telling them that, say, their lipstick of choice looks ‘a bit naff’ and, conversely, 2) we’re becoming a little too sensitive to such comments; are we more likely to take offence and regard what could be sound advice as a personal attack?  Let’s, just for a moment, consider this from a different angle.  I think that you and I should talk about bogeys.  Oh, go on – we don’t do it enough!  If I had a huge wet green puggly, lazily clinging to the edge of my nostrils, swinging in the breeze like some salty pendulum, I’d really rather that someone pointed it out.

Wouldn’t you?

1 comment:

  1. They didn't need to pour the brown stuff on the golf ball....they had me at "air whipped".

    ReplyDelete